From the Interim City Manager's Desk
October 16, 2017
TFD New Recruits and Fire Prevention Week
The week started off with Mayor Larry Wolgast issuing a proclamation declaring the week of October 9th as Fire Prevention Week. The Topeka Fire Department welcomed eight new recruits who began the ten week recruit academy.
The City and TFD published fire safety PSA videos onto their social media pages to alert Topekan's on how to prevent fires and keep themselves safe in case one happens.
The Topeka Fire Department is accepting registration for upcoming entry-level firefighter exams. Full details and registration at http://www.topeka.org/careers
- The September edition of Planning’s Development and Growth Management Report can be found at https://www.topeka.org/planning/Documents/DGM_Reports/DGMReport.pdf
- Neighborhood Relations broke ground on two new houses on NW Van Buren Street. These homes will be for low income families. The rent will be below or at fair market value.
- All divisions are working on reviewing, approving, or creating policies and procedures in preparation for Topeka's American Public Works Association re-accreditation.
- TPD OFC Bell continues to expand his role within the school for the OK Program. He will be part of disciplinary meetings to better understand how he can help his students and will participate in the upcoming parent-teacher conferences for his students
Utilities Department Volunteering
Members of the Utilities Department have been participating in building houses for Habitat for Humanity.
o Employees will build two homes.
o City employees take time during work to go build the house once a month in four hour shifts.
o The next two dates for building will be November 14th and December 12th.
• October 19th- National League of Cities Refuel Topeka Press Conference 4-5 PM at the Library.
• October 21st- Refuel Topeka After-school Meal Skating Event Kick Off 5-7 PM at Starlite Skate.
• October 25th-TPD 41st Citizen Academy Graduation.
• October 21st and 28th- Boo at the Topeka Zoo.
• October 31st- Operation SAFE TREAT- Trunk or Treat.
• November 7th- TPD Ft. Leavenworth Career Fair.
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of Interim City Manager Doug Gerber.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: