From the City Manager's Desk
December 18, 2017
Topeka Zoo says goodbye to Shannon the elephant
The Topeka Zoo said goodbye to Shannon the elephant last week. Zoo staff and emergency responders did the best they could to help Shannon after she was no longer able to stay on her feet.
Zoo staff and the other elephants had an opportunity to mourn Shannon and are grateful for all of the outpouring of support from the community.
Snow and Ice Removal Plan
The public works department presented the snow and ice removal plan at a city council meeting on December 12th.
Roads and bridges are being pre-treated when temperatures drop below freezing. Emergency routes and the snow removal plan can be found here: https://www.topeka.org/publicworks/StreetMaintenance/Pages/Snow-Removal.aspx
- SE California (29th thru 37th) fully opened to traffic by December 15th.
- Comprehensive Parking Plan was presented to Council. Approval was received and the Parking Administration is authorized to move forward with the 2018 implementation activities.
- The November edition of our Development and Growth Management Report can be found at www.topeka.org/planning
- The Budget Division continues to build the proposed capital improvement plan to be reviewed by the internal CIP Committee in January. The calendar for the CIP process is found at https://www.topeka.org/cip.
- The finance department again received the Government Finance Officer Association’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting for the City’s 2016 CAFR.
Meter Department gives holiday gifts
The meter department delivered gifts to an adopted family this year.
Due to such high employee participation, they were able to get everything on their family’s Christmas list plus more.
Director of Utilities Bob Sample said he was very proud & appreciative of all the employees who helped to pull this together, because giving back is what the holidays are about.
• If temperatures are below freezing, the crew will be treating all City of Topeka bridges and prepare the Lakewood Yard, located on the north side of 21st St. between S. Kansas Ave. and SE Adams, for snow storage.
• Coffee On Your Corner "City's Neighborhood Revitalization Program", Dec 20, Dunkin Donuts,. 4009 SW 21st
• December 18th-TPD Explorer graduation & promotions ceremony
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of City Manager Brent Trout.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: