From the City Manager's Desk
March 12, 2018
Upcoming Road Construction
Construction season is coming up as the City of Topeka Street Department will be starting various road projects to improve the city's roads. The City asks that citizens please drive slowly and be patient with construction as we are making city streets in Topeka better.
Projects that are restarting after closing down for the winter include 21st and Wanamaker and the intersection of 10th and Wanamaker. Both of these roads will remain open during construction.
The following construction projects are now underway:
o SW 6th Street between Gage and Fairlawn. Working at both east and west ends of the project.
o SW 49th Street between Topeka Blvd and Wenger Road.
o The bridge replacement on SW Cherokee over Ward Creek.
o Washington Street between 8th and 10th.
Budget Open House
There will be a Budget Open House on March 14th to hear from the public on budget priorities. The open house will be from 5:30-7 at the Topeka Shawnee County Public Library and is for all ages. See more information at https://www.facebook.com/events/195690271016785/
- The Housing Services Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER) is complete and will be out for public comment on Monday, March 12th.
- The Property Maintenance Division has 771 cases have opened and 3630 inspections have occurred for the 2018 calendar year.
- The Zoo had a USDA inspection. No non-compliant items were identified.
- Topeka Fire Department Training Division Staff facilitated a hands on search and rescue course in conjunction with MTAA and SHFD crews.
Human Relations Commission Survey
The Human Relations Commission wants to hear from you on what you would like to see at their next town hall meeting. Please fill out this short survey:
Transparency in Government Survey
Please take the time to fill out this survey relating to data portals created by the City of Topeka to increase transparency in local government. The answers provided through this survey do not rate or test your abilities as a user. The purpose of this survey is to test the level of usability (e.g., ease of navigation, clarity, etc.) and the quality of content that is currently provided on the City of Topeka open data portals. Please understand that the more information we collect, the better and more user-friendly we can make all of these products. All responses will be reported in the aggregate and will be confidential.
- March 14th- Chief for a Day set for young boy who alerted parents about a neighbor’s house fire.
- The Topeka Zoo Spring Break camp will be held March 19-23.
- The Topeka Police Department will be doing another Safe Church presentation on April 3rd.
- There will be a Budget Open House on March 14th to hear from the public on budget priorities. The open house will be from 5:30-7 at the Topeka Shawnee County Public Library and is for all ages. See more information at https://www.facebook.com/events/195690271016785/
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of City Manager Brent Trout.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: