From the Interim City Manager's Desk
June 26, 2017
The WaterShare Program allows customers paying their City utility bill to add an automatic amount of their choosing to go to charity, for the purpose of assisting in the payment of City utility bills of those less fortunate.
Local charitable agencies and the City of Topeka created the WaterShare program as a means of facilitating convenient monthly charitable donations by citizens through their City of Topeka utilities bill. Doorstep, Let's Help, and the Salvation Army are administering all funds and selecting eligible recipients. In addition, all donations to the WaterShare program are clearly marked as charitable contributions on City utility bills and may or may not be tax-deductible (consult a tax advisor).
You may sign up to contribute to the WaterShare Program by:
the Customer Service Center at 785-368-3111
- Applying online
The PDF form to the Customer Service Center at
a PDF form with your next City utility payment or to the
City of Topeka Customer Service
Attn: Utility Accounts
3245 NW Water Works Dr.
Topeka, Kansas, 66606
Your contribution will be appreciated by those in need.
- We'd like to encourage everyone to practice safety during the upcoming 4th of July holiday. The sale of fireworks will begin June 27th and end July 5th. It is not legal to discharge fireworks within the city limits except for the following dates and times:
- Between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on July 1, 2, and 3, and between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. on July 4.
- The MTPO Policy Board unanimously approved the Futures 2040 Plan (Topeka Regional Transportation Plan) on June 22 and has forwarded to KDOT and FHWA for acceptance. The long range plan provides unprecedented new direction for the region's transportation priorities including a heavy emphasis on system preservation projects (street maintenance, intersection improvements, etc.) and active transportation projects (biking, pedestrian, transit).
- The most recent monthly report can be found on our open data portal.
- The latest Council Recap is available for viewing!
- Congratulations to the following TFD personnel who recently received promotions!
o Ryan P Ratcliff Promoted to Apparatus Operator
o Todd Brown Promoted to Captain
o Damon S Smith Promoted to Lieutenant
o David R Workman Promoted to Captain
o Lance E Currie Promoted to Captain
o Matthew J Frehe Promoted to Lieutenant
o Michael B Dupigny Leigh Promoted to Apparatus Operator
o Robert D Sapp Promoted Lieutenant
o Robert Jameson Promoted to Apparatus Operator
Through a grant from the Association of Zoological Horticulture, The Topeka Zoo was able to plant over 800 plants on the native prairie at the Kansas Museum of History.
These are plants that will bloom in the fall and provide nectar sources for Monarchs migrating to Mexico to overwinter. Last year, we planted almost 400 milkweed plants for them to lay eggs on and upon inspection, most seem to be thriving!
Topeka Neighborhood Partnership Program
We are currently accepting applications for Topeka Neighborhood Partnership Program. The Neighborhood Partnership Program is a competitive grant program providing funding for neighborhood projects. This program:
o Provides funding for events, projects and local grant-matching requirements for other grant programs
o Is open to all formal and informal neighborhood groups. Informal groups can partner with a local non-profit or the Department of Neighborhood Relations Division of Community Engagement
o Funds project costs from $500 to $2,500
The deadline for applications is July 28.
- A public meeting regarding the NW Tyler - NW Lyman to Hwy 24 is scheduled for Tuesday, June 27, from 4:30 - 6 p.m. at Seaman Community Church, 2036 NW Taylor. The project is expected to begin on or about July 31.
- Please take a moment to complete the ADA Survey that closes on June 30.
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of Interim City Manager Doug Gerber.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: