From the City Manager's Desk
June 25, 2018
On June 20th the governing body had a budget workshop where they discussed the proposed 2019 budget. The budgets for police, public works, utilities and the zoo were discussed.
The graphic to the left shows where the money from property taxes goes.
You can watch the video of the budget workshop here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtaFnvWY3yw
For more information on the 2019 proposed budget, check out the link to the city website: https://www.topeka.org/finance/budget/
Road Construction Update
🚧 ROAD CONSTRUCTION UPDATES 🚧
The photo on the right is of construction going on at Fairlawn road earlier this month. New stormwater pipes were placed underneath the road during construction.
Work continuing on:
- 6th Street between Gage and Fairlawn: Surface lift of asphalt at the west end (near Fairlawn) was placed last Saturday.
- 29th & Burlingame Intersection: Finishing up concrete work in the NW quadrant of the 29th/Burlingame intersection; working at the Mulvane/29th intersection a block west of Burlingame on the north side. The next phase of the project will be the SW quadrant.
- S Kansas Avenue & 21st Intersection.
- SW 49th between Topeka Blvd and Wenger Road: Portions of new pavement may need to be removed and replaced and may impact the July 13th completion date.
- Central Park Phase II: A concern was raised with the removal of a tree in the right-of-way in front of Central Park Christian Church at the corner of SW Clay and SW 16th. The tree will come out to make way for curb and inlet improvements there. The engineer will work with the Forestry Division to plant a new tree.
- SE Adams between 29th and 33rd.
- Full depth pavement patching and 2018 curb replacement.
- Reconstruction of the streets within Clarion Woods.
Street Project Startup and Major Phase Changes:
- SW Gage from 21st to 25th has been delayed by the contractor – was scheduled to start on June 18th. Working to obtain updated schedule. Tentatively construction is estimated to begin in mid-July.
- Microsurfacing is scheduled to start July 16th.
- Parking lot between City Hall and the Shawnee County Courthouse: The lot is scheduled to be milled and overlaid June 30-July 1. The Parking Maintenance staff will assist with outlining stalls and the Traffic Section will paint them.
- The most recent finance monthly report has been posted at https://www.topeka.org/finance/financial-reports/monthly-reports/ . The May report includes an overview of the City’s revenues and expenditures year to date along with other economic indicators like building permit activity and unemployment.
- The Utilities Department has had 55 water main breaks this month with 288 repaired year to date. There were 160 breaks at this time last year.
City Leadership Class
The 2018 city employee leadership class graduated on June 19th. Twenty employees participated in a sixteen week course learning about management and leadership skills.
The class presented their projects focusing on city operations and policy's. Congratulations to the 2018 class!
Topeka Zoo Giraffe Cam
Abi the Giraffe is expected to give birth to her calf soon. You can check out the live giraffe cameras at the Topeka Zoo here http://topekazoo.org/giraffecam/.
TPD Citizens Advisory Council
The Citizens Advisory Council is made up of 15 people who represent various areas and backgrounds throughout Topeka. Topeka Police Chief Bill Cochran created the council to ensure transparency with residents in the capital city and to receive their input. You can send your questions, comments, and feedback to the council here: email@example.com.
- City Council Meeting, July 3rd at 6 p.m.
Fire Department Survey
Topeka Fire is looking to get feedback on their services. They have created a short survey to post on social media which you can take here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TFDServices18
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of City Manager Brent Trout.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: