From the Interim City Manager's Desk
July 31, 2017
Volunteer at The Zoo!
The Topeka Zoo is happy to announce openings in its upcoming Docent Academy for the Topeka Zoo.
Docents are volunteer educators and guides who provide interpretation and exciting, hands-on experiences for the public throughout the Topeka Zoo. They are ambassadors for the zoo who aid over two hundred thousand zoo guests in understanding and enjoying the zoo’s collections and exhibits each year. At the end of their initial training, docents are uniquely experienced in the various parts of the zoo and become part of an effort to change the world.
If you would like to talk with the Topeka Zoo about the exciting and rewarding experiences of being a zoo Docent, or to have an application sent to you, contact Dennis Dinwiddie at email@example.com, or 785-368-9134. The next Topeka Zoo Docent training academy occurs during the week of August 14th-18th, 2017. Applications are available now through the zoo, or through the zoo’s website at www.topekazoo.org.
- Property maintenance has closed 7,396 cases and completed 25,838 inspections.
- In 2007, the City of Topeka voluntarily demolished a property and the lot has remained vacant until recently. A modular home was built on the lot valued at $78,000. In addition, a former homeless person and Shelter Plus Care recipient bought the house. The Division is excited to see our program outcomes and the differences they make in residents' lives and the neighborhoods they live in.
- TFD staff supported an exercise with Shawnee County to test the county hazardous materials plan.
- We had a great time at our first Movie Night at the Zoo! Thanks to everyone who came out and joined us!
- TRM/DCE Water distribution to the homeless will occur on Monday, July 31, 10:45AM-1PM
- Project Heat Relief, Tuesday, August 1st, 8AM - NOON - an anonymous donor has provided funding to the Division of Community Engagement to purchase 80 fans to distribute to our low-to-moderate neighbors in need. Neighbors who have received a free fan in 2016 are not eligible .The 2017 HUD family income limits will be used to income qualify.
- The 41st TPD Citizen’s Academy will begin on Wednesday, August 2nd.
- The City's Open Government initiative needs public input to decide which data sets to release next. Please encourage others to complete the survey!
- Construction of Camp Cowabunga is underway!
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of Interim City Manager Doug Gerber.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: