From the City Manager's Desk
July 9, 2018
New Traffic Light at 29th and Fairlawn
A flashing yellow light will be in effect at the I-470 and Fairlawn intersection beginning July 9th. The flashing yellow light creates a safer environment for drivers and lets them know when it is safe to turn at the intersection. Contact the traffic engineer at 785-368-3842 with any questions.
Road Construction Update
🚧 ROAD CONSTRUCTION UPDATES 🚧
The photo on the right is of City crews repaving the City Hall parking lot.
Work continuing on:
- 6th Street between Gage and Fairlawn. Contractor installing storm sewers in Phase III and Phase IV.
- 29th & Burlingame Intersection. Contractor working on Phase II (SW quadrant).
- 21st & KS Intersection – Contractor placed curb/gutter early in the week on the 21st Street leg of the intersection. Concrete pavement for the eastbound leg of 21st is scheduled for Friday (7/6).
- SW 49th between Topeka Blvd and Wenger Road. Contractor milling the concrete surface this week in an attempt to bring the roadway within specifications.
- Central Park Phase 2. After reviewing the tree and inlet with both WPC and the design consultant, the decision was made to abandon the existing inlet in an attempt to save the tree at the intersection of SW Clay and SW 16th.
- SE Adams between 29th and 33rd. Storm pipe being installed.
- Huntoon/Arvonia/470 – Contractor installing both waterline and storm sewer lines.
- Full depth pavement patching and 2018 curb replacement.
- Reconstruction of the streets within Clarion Woods.
Street Project Startup and Major Phase Changes:
- SW Gage from 21st to 25th was delayed by the contractor – was scheduled to start on June 18th. Current plan is to start the week of July 9th.
- Microsurfacing scheduled to start July 16th.
- Public Works will be hosting a work zone traffic control workshop on July 31, August 1, and August 2.
- TPD is investigating a burglary where 80 firearms and thousands of rounds of ammunition were taken at a home.
- There have been 316 water main breaks in 2018, at this time in 2017 there were 165 breaks.
City and County Parking Lot
The City of Topeka recently repaved the parking lot that is shared with the Shawnee County Courthouse. The photo to the left is of City crews working on putting down new asphalt for the parking lot.
Topeka Zoo Giraffe Cam
Abi the Giraffe is expected to give birth to her calf soon. You can check out the live giraffe cameras at the Topeka Zoo here http://topekazoo.org/giraffecam/.
- City Council Meeting, July 10th at 6 p.m.
- Coffee on Your Corner, Wednesday, July 18th, "Community Action, Inc.", the Pad, 1730 NW Topeka Blvd.
Fire Department Survey
Topeka Fire is looking to get feedback on their services. They have created a short survey to post on social media which you can take here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TFDServices18
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of City Manager Brent Trout.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: