From the Interim City Manager's Desk
September 1, 2017
Bloomberg Philanthropies Mayor's Challenge
Interim City Manager Doug Gerber, Department Directors and members of the finance department participated in a workshop facilitated by Bloomberg Philanthropies to generate ideas for the 2017 Mayor's Initiative Challenge.
Topeka is one of 300 cities chosen to participate in this challenge. The workshop consisted of generating ideas and finding solutions to problems in Topeka that can be used in the application for the Bloomberg Mayor's Challenge.
For more information on the Mayor's Challenge click on the link here: http://mayorschallenge.bloomberg.org/
- The Division of Community Engagement in Neighborhood Relations launched a new Topeka Neighborhoods Newsletter webpage where you can find Neighborhood newsletters, meeting times, dates and locations.
- 14 members of the Water staff have volunteered to work with Habitat for Humanity. The work will consist of assisting in the building of two homes for two separate families. Staff will work once a month in four hour slots per month through December.
- The Topeka Touch-A-Truck event featured paintings by a local artist on City of Topeka snow plows. Four snow plows were painted.
- Members of the Finance Department are volunteering at Williams Magnet School this fall semester. One or two staff members will attend once per week to provide tutoring for students starting on August 31st.
- The Fire Training Division finished hosting EMS training on topics to meet the core categories of the Board of EMS regulations.
Water Environment Award
Dustin Coles received the William D. Hatfield Award at the 2017 Kansas Water Environment Association Conference held in Wichita KS this week.
The Hatfield Award is presented annually at the KWEA Conference for Outstanding Performance and Professionalism in the Operation of a Wastewater Treatment Facility.
• The City of Topeka Emergency Management will be facilitating a tabletop exercise on winter storms on September 26th.
• 53rd Topeka Police Department Recruit Graduation Ceremony slated for September 1st.
•Refuel Topeka After School Meal Program: Coffee On Your Corner, September 20th
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of Interim City Manager Doug Gerber.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: