From the Interim City Manager's Desk
September 29, 2017
Refuel Topeka kicked off on September 15th with an informational meeting for community leaders to find additional sites for after school meal programs. Confirmed meal sites include the Oakland Community Center, Rice Community Center and Crestview Community Center. There are nine other potential meal sites in the works.
On October 21st there will be a free Skating Party for all students ages five to eighteen. This will officially kick off the Refuel Topeka program. At the skating party these children will have fun skating and learn about the Refuel Topeka program and what meal sites are near them.
- The reconstruction of the intersection at 10th and Wanamaker is scheduled to begin within the two weeks with significant traffic impacts anticipated.
- The Budget staff has begun preliminary work on the 2019-2028 Capital Improvement Plan.
- The August monthly financial report will be posted at : https://data.topeka.org/Finance-Reports/Monthly-Financial-Report-August-2017/qvgg-tx4x
- TFD Training Division Staff continued preparation for the upcoming recruit academy.
- Significant issues with the storm sewer on N. Kansas are delaying the street project. Storm line will be patched and road reopened to traffic. Reconstruction will be on-hold until Spring 2018.
On October 14th the City of Topeka and Shawnee County will partner for their 4th E-Cycle event at the Kansas Expocentre. Everyone is welcome to come and recycle their old electronic items.
o Items that can be recycled include: televisions, desktop computers, cassette tapes and more.
o 227,000 pounds of electronic materials have been recycled so far at other E-cycle events in Topeka.
o Find out more information about E-cycle here: https://www.topeka.org/Documents/E-Cycle.pdf
• Neighborhood Leadership Training provided by the Latino Leadership, Saturday, September 30th .
• October 7th-Recruiting booth set up at LULAC sponsored-Education of Tomorrow College Fair.
• October 7th- Citizens Academy has their "fun" day with exposure to a K9 Demo, MILO and car stop training.
• October 14th- Topeka Fire Department Memorial and Open House at the TFD academy.
• October 14th- E-cycle event. Recycle your old electronic items at the Kansas Expocentre.
• October 15th Battle of Badges--Charity Football game between TPD & TFD for Special Olympics.
This weekly report is presented to you from the office of Interim City Manager Doug Gerber.
This report was produced through our open data portal. We have several other open data portals to help connect you with the work we do, including portals that let you: